Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light? ~Maurice Freehill
Fear: False Evidence Appearing Real.
You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.
Exercise: Fear-Movement Practice
When something frightens us, our body is conditioned to respond with a gush of responses. We refer to this set of responses as "fight or flight." /Fear, flight, fight or freeze. When visualizing, the physical body does not know the difference between a real or imaginary situation, so it responds as if the situation is real. We can use this tendency to shift our reaction to something that usually causes fear. This is a way for us to face our fear prior to the actual event.
• Imagine the event that causes the fear in as much detail as possible.
• Notice where the emotion of fear arises. Often people notice it in their throat, their gut, their heart, but it can be anywhere.
• Bring the emotion to neutral. How do you bring an emotion to neutral? Choose from many ways:
• Push your awareness through the discomfort
• Untangle the feeling until it subsides
• Notice the direction the feeling moves, and run its movement in the opposite direction; or
• Focus on your breathing until it subsides.
• Play with the above until you find what works for you.
• Bring your attention back to imagining the event, and repeat.
• Notice how the fear is different the next time you imagine it. Continue until you have no fearful emotion when imagining it!
• Maybe this takes you only one time, or ten times, or 100 times. Continue to notice how it is different each time. It has been my experience that as you get used to shifting things in this way, fewer repetitions will be needed.
EarthThunder is currently in Idaho. She shares her Indigenous Shaman Teaching by means of Counseling, Life Coaching, Medicine Wheel Teaching, Retrieval, and many Ceremonies and Rituals. She can be reached
by email or at 208.599.1004
Boise, Idaho 83703-3465